Tinolang Manok Recipe is a staple dish in our home. My dad usually cooks it for two to three times a month. I think it’s my dad’s go to recipe for chicken. Come to think of it. My dad never cooks other chicken dish besides tinola.
Tinolang manok is a Filipino soup – based dish. It has a warm gingery and rich chicken flavor. Sliced green papaya or sayote is usually added to this dish as well as malunggay leaves or dahoon ng sili.
Basically, this dish is very simple to do. Simply sauté the ginger, garlic, onion and chicken. Then, water is added and you season it with fish sauce or patis and ground black pepper. You just need to simmer it until the chicken is done, then, the vegetables are added until cooked.
However, for this Tinolang Manok Recipe, I made it extra chickeny and flavorful with Knorr Savor Rich Chicken Liquid Seasoning. Yup! The soup did taste more flavorful. Another thing I like about it is its natural taste compared to the artificial – like taste of the chicken bouillon cube. I could probably say that the soup would still taste flavorful even with less meat.
Chicken has its distinct raw smell and flavor. If you don’t wash it well it could affect the taste of your final dish. To remove its inherent smell, simply rub it with salt and pour some white vinegar and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then, rinse it with tap water and set it a side until it’s ready for cooking.
Instead of using chicken, you can also use pork ribs, milkfish or bangus and even tilapia. For more tinola recipe check out my Tinola Dishes.
|1 kilo||Chicken Legs|
|4 Tablespoons||Olive Oil|
|1 knob||Ginger, cut into strips|
|8 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|1 bulb||Onion, chopped|
|1/4 teaspoon||Ground Black Pepper|
|3 Tablespoons||Fish Sauce or Patis|
|2 Tablespoons||Knorr Savor Rich Chicken Liquid Seasoning|
|Sliced Green Papaya|
|Chili Leaves or Dahon ng Sili|
|Fish Sauce or Patis to Taste|
Thoroughly clean the chicken legs. Remove skin and chop into two parts. Drain and set a side.
Sauté ginger, garlic and onion in olive oil.
Add the chicken legs and season with ground black pepper, fish sauce and Knorr Savor Rich Chicken Liquid Seasoning. Stir for 3 minutes and cover for 10 minutes over low heat.
Add water and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the green papaya and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the chili leaves or dahon ng sili and season with fish sauce or patis.
Tinolang Manok Recipe
- 1 kilo Chicken Legs
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 knob Ginger, cut into strips
- 8 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 bulb Onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce or Patis
- 2 Tablespoons Knorr Savor Rich Chicken Liquid Seasoning
- 3 cups Water
- Sliced Green Papaya
- Chili Leaves or Dahon ng Sili
- Fish Sauce or Patis to taste
- Thoroughly clean the chicken legs. Remove skin and chop into two parts. Drain and set a side.
- Sauté ginger, garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Add the chicken legs and season with ground black pepper, fish sauce and Knorr Savor Rich Chicken Liquid Seasoning. Stir for 3 minutes and cover for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add water and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the green papaya and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chili leaves or dahon ng sili and season with fish sauce or patis.