Palaeros (as we call it in Tanauan, Batangas) or Ginataang Bilo-bilo is a dish consisting of bananas, sweet potatoes, tapioca pearl (sago), jack fruit and balled ground glutinous rice cooked in sweetened coconut milk.
Since I’m tired from doing the laundry, luckily, my mom decided or I can say she planned to cook Palaeros or ginataang bilo-bilo for our snack this afternoon. She cooked this without recipe at hand (Well, that’s how we really cook here.). So i had to ask her the ingredients and estimate how much of the ingredients did she add.
Me: Ma, how many cups of coconut milk did you add?
Mom: One bowl.
Me: How many cups is that?
Mom: Well, you just have to measure it for yourself when I’m done with the bowl.
I just laugh at her. And Oh, she’s also shy but candidly posed for the camera.
2 cups Water
3 pieces Pandan Leaves
1 piece Sweet Potato, dieced (Me: Why only one piece of sweet potato? Mom:
You don’t like it anyway. Me: Makes sense. – You can increase its quantity
if you like sweet potato and we use the yello one.)
8 pieces Banana, diced (We used the saba)
4 tablespoon Ground Glutinous Rice (Reserved 4 tablespoon of Ground Glutinous Rice
2 cups Thick Coconut Milk (I measured the bowl’s volume as my mom’s
2 cups Water
250 grams + 5 tablespoon Sugar
7 pieces Jack Fruit, sliced (You can add more if you want.)
500 grams Ground Glutinous Rice, formed into bite-sized ball (My mom bought this in the
public market, available in white and violet color)
2 cups Tapioca Pearl (She also bought this in the public market)
1. Combine water, pandan leaves and sweet potato and boil until sweet potato is almost cook. Then, add the banana and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Dissolve 4 tablespoon of the ground glutinous rice into the coconut milk. Pour in the Coconut Milk and water and slowly simmer until the raw coconut milk taste disappear.
3. Add the sliced jack fruit and simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Add the glutinous rice ball and simmer for 5 minutes or until the glutinous rice ball floats.
5. Add the tapioca pearl and simmer for another 3 minutes.