I love sweets. I love to it sweets every after meal and it’s been a while since I ate something that is homemade and fresh from the oven. From my previous post Peach Mango Crumb Bar a la Kusina ni Teds I’ve been dying to try blueberry instead of the peach mango crumb bar. It just so happened that canned blueberry was not available that time.
Since I fell in love with the sweet buttery and lemon zest flavor of the Peach Mango Crumb Bar, I used its base but instead of a cup of oatmeal I used a cup of flour. Luckily last Friday night, I was able to find a can of blueberry. With every ingredients on my hand and readily available, its time to try that blueberry crumb bars. Oops, did I say bars? Well, what I did was Blueberry Mini Crumb Pie. I got my 2 ounce silicon muffin pan and carefully pressed down my crumb made deliciously with lemon zest and a good quality butter. I took a teaspoon or two of the blueberry fillings and bake it in the oven until the crumbs turned golden brown. Cool it for 30 minutes and savor it with a cup of tea.
This Blueberry Mini Crumb Pie has the right amount of sweetness. The crumb is sweet and buttery and has this nice freshness coming from the lemon zest. I decided not to alter anymore the filling as it has already has the right amount of sweetness and consistency. Every bite of this mini crumb pie is so comforting as the tang flavor of the filling balances the buttery sweetness of the crumb pie.
3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt (Optional if using salted butter)
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 piece Egg
1 cup Cold Butter
1 can Blueberry Filling
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Give it a quick whisk.
3. Add egg and butter. Use fork or pastry cutter to combine everything until it turns into crumbs.
4. Reserve about 3/4 cup of the crumbs. Gently press a 2 to 2 1/2 inches ball of crumbs into 2 ounce muffin pan until it covered every sides of the muffin cup.
5. Scoop a teaspoon or two of the blueberry filling into the muffin cup. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top of each cup.
6. Bake for 15- 20 minutes or until the crumbs turned golden brown. Cool in a wire rack for 30 minutes before eating.