Whenever my dad craves for Arroz a la Valenciana, he would cook a very big batch, about a kilo of glutinous rice which is good for 15 to 20 people (to think we’re only 5 in the family and my sister does not like it, that’s make us 4). My dad would normally eat it for two days without getting tired of its taste (imagine, breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner).
Though his version is good, I like my mom’s friend version of Arroz a la Valenciana. Ate Tisa’s (my mom’s friend) version is so flavorful and you can’t stop yourself eating it.
This is my first time doing it and not what my dad normally do. I added coconut milk (gata) to it to make it more flavorful.
1/4 kg Chicken (chopped into chunks)
1/4 kg Pork (I used kasim, sliced)
1/2 kg Chicken Liver (boiled with thumb-sized ginger and parsley)
1/2 kg Shrimp (remove shell and set a side)
1 c Frozen Peas
3 pcs Chorizo, sliced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 pc Onion, chopped
6 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 tsp Paprika
2 c Coconut Milk
3 c Glutinous Rice
2 tsp Turmeric Powder
3 tsp Salt
Parsley to garnish
1. Boil pork until tender. About half way before the pork cooks, add the chicken. Set a side the broth. You will use this when you cook the rice.
2. Extract the juice from the shrimp shell by pounding it and squeezing it until the juices comes out. Add this to the chicken and pork stock. Dilute the stock to 3 cups.
3. In a separate casserole, add the glutinous rice, coconut milk, turmeric powder, salt and the diluted stocks. Cook rice as if your cooking a regular rice. About half way before cooking, add the frozen peas. Stir from time to time to avoid burning the bottom of the casserole.
4. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil. Add the chorizo, pork, chicken, liver and shrimp. Add paprika and stir fry for 5 minutes.
5. Add the stir fried mixture into the cooked rice. Mix well. Garnish with parsley, if desired, before serving.
HOW DOES IT TASTE?
This Arroz a la Valenciana recipe is rich and very flavorful. I think it’s more flavorful than my dad’s version. However, my dad seems not to like it because of the coconut milk. He does not like anything with coconut milk. But if you love the taste of the coconut milk mixed with your food, you’ll definitely like it.
Will try to make a coconut milk-free version of this so my dad can compare it with his version.