Paksiw na Isda or Stewed Fish in Vinegar is a very simple and fast dish to cook. How simple? Simply place everything in a pot and simmer. How fast you ask? It can be done in under 20 minutes.
Paksiw na isda is not of my favorite dish but in some cases you just get this craving. Paksiw na isda is one of this dish. My most favorite fish to use for this recipe is bangus or milkfish. It is has a nice neutral taste and a good amount of fat. Yes, I’m talking about the bangus belly. However, my mom loves paksiw so much that according to her she can eat it for the whole week.
My dad bought a kilo of hasa – hasa from the fish vendor roaming in our village. He was planning to fry it but he changed his mind and suggested paksiw. Since I haven’t cook paksiw in my life, I told to myself this is it.
Like I said, this recipe is a no brainer. Simply put everything in a pot and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes and it’s ready. Make sure your rice is ready as it is very good with rice.
You need to thoroughly clean the fish. Remove it’s gills and innards then wash it with vinegar. This is to remove its fish odor and after taste.
You can basically add any vegetable you want but the most common are bitter gourd or ampalaya, eggplants and okra. We don’t have those vegetables on hand but we have malunggay tree in our backyard and I decided to use a cup of its leaves.
Mostly, white vinegar is use for paksiw but for this paksiw na isda recipe I used a tablespoon of pinakurat vinegar and 7 tablespoons of white vinegar. A total of half cup of vinegar. I also added a tablespoon of liquid seasoning and olive oil for extra flavor. During the cooking process I found the recipe a little bit sour to my liking so a half tablespoon of sugar did the trick.
for more fish recipe check out my Fish Dishes.
|1 kilo||Fish, Hasa – hasa or your choice of fish|
|3 pieces||Thumb – sized Ginger, thinly sliced|
|8 cloves||Garlic, roughly chopped|
|1 bulb||Onion, roughly chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon||Whole Peppercorn|
|1/4 teaspoon||Ground Black Pepper|
|1 Tablespoon||Knorr Liquid Seasoning|
|7 Tablespoons||White Vinegar|
|1 Tablespoon||Pinakurat Vinegar|
|1 cup||Malunggay Leaves|
Thoroughly clean the fish. Remove the innards and gills to avoid too much fishy after taste. Wash thoroughly and set a side.
In a pot, combine ginger, garlic, onion, chili, whole peppercorn, ground black pepper, salt, sugar, liquid seasoning, vinegars and water.
Cover pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the malunggay leaves. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Paksiw na Isda
- 1 kilo Fish, Hasa – hasa
- 3 pieces Thumb – sized Ginger, thinly sliced
- 8 cloves Garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 bulb Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 piece chili
- 1/2 teaspoon Whole Peppercorn
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoons Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 7 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Pinakurat Vinegar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Malunggay Leaves
- Thoroughly clean the fish. Remove the innards and gills to avoid too much fishy after taste. Wash thoroughly and set a side.
- In a pot, combine ginger, garlic, onion, chili, whole peppercorn, ground black pepper, salt, sugar, liquid seasoning, vinegars and water.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the malunggay leaves. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.